15 May, 2010

‘Pokkiri Raja is a complete entertainer’

First time director Vyshakh gets talking about Pokkiri Raja, the most anticipated Malayalam film of this year

How did Pokkiri Raja happen?

It all began when I was working, as an associate, for Twenty-20, the action thriller film. I discussed the story idea with scriptwriters Udayakrishna and Sibi K. Thomas. Gradually, we developed the story and focussed on the character of Raja, to be played by Mammootty. Simultaneously, Surya’s character was also developed. And when we narrated the story to Mammootty, it was he who suggested Raju (Prithviraj) for the role. I discussed the story with Raju while we worked together in Robinhood. He was quite impressed. That’s how the film happened.

What is the film about?

It’s an entertainer. I’d like to point out that the film will stand out because of its high-energy level. Being a youngster myself, I wanted to make a film that was youthful in spirit and had high energy. I’m sure it will leave the audience spellbound.

The film will also make an impact with its script. Sibi and Udayakrishna have delivered their best. The film’s script is quite fast and racy like Twenty-20.

What about the budget?

It’s definitely a big-budget film. The presence of the most sought-after stars along with 55 prominent artistes and the huge canvas makes it a big-budget film. In fact, at the outset itself, we had told the producers that it would be a big film. They assured us that there wouldn’t be any kind of budget constraints. I’d thank my producer for having given me uncompromising support.

How did Shriya Saran come in?

With Mammootty and Prithviraj doing key roles, we wanted the heroine to be one of the top actresses. This was how Shriya came in.

How do you feel after making your directorial debut with such a big film?

After being associated with directors like Johnny Antony and Joshiy, I have been trained to think big. I wanted to make a film on a big canvas.

thanks to Unni R. Nair

No comments:

Post a Comment